The crisis in Turkey seems to have been hitting the emerging markets in a big way. Both stocks and currencies are way down across the board as global investors remain on edge over Turkey’s head on collision with the Trump administration. Of course it doesn’t help that Turkey, a formidable economic and military power is led by what it appears to be a autocratic madman. But this post is not about politics, but rather an encouragement to continue to put money into emerging markets.
The crash in emerging markets is not a surprise. The rift between the USA and Turkey is creating a large amount of uncertainty in the system. Whenever this happens, emerging markets, which are deemed “riskier” see a flight of investors. For example South Africa’s currency, the Rand fell 10%, the largest drop for the currency in almost a decade. India and Indonesia’s currency also fell.
So why should we be so focused on continuing our push for increased investments in emerging markets by making sure investors put money into impact investments?
Do You Want to Make an Impact? Sign Up to Learn How…
First of all, we have no choice but to ensure that these economies get the type of infusion they need in order to have a shot at reaching the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Altruism aside though, emerging markets are still a lucrative arena to invest in. When approached with proper due diligence and sturdy partnerships with trusted institutions, projects focused on alternative energy and water management can give great returns while uplifting developing economies.
Isn’t There Risk?
There is risk in everything. But let’s understand something fundamental about investing in emerging markets. The key behind getting a great return on a safe investment is the same measurement of whether or not the actual investment succeeds in making an impact in that given area. SDG-Market only partners with secure development focused investments that ultimately backed by an array of internationally recognized partners. This provides security and a solid return and most of all in a world that sees emerging markets getting a smack down, ensures continued investment in the economies that need it the most.
- David is SDG-Market's Chief Marketing Officer. He is considered an expert in the Middle East and Sub-Sahara African regions as they relate to indigenous rights and geopolitics. In the past he acted as an advisor to OurCrowd's director of investment community as well as having consulted a variety of fintech and equity level crowdfunding platforms.
- Emerging Markets2018.10.15Don’t Pay Attention to the Volatility in the Emerging Markets
- Emerging Markets2018.08.13Emerging Markets are Getting a Beating, Impact Investments More Important Than Ever
- Sustainability2018.07.31Africa is On the Right Track to Eliminate Plastics
- Emerging Markets2018.06.11YES IT CAN: Can Africa Tap Its Sustainable Energy Potential?